Elements Of Success
The key to the operational success of your facility is the effectiveness of each component in your plant’s overall process. Therefore, if any part of the process is missing or dysfunctional, your operation’s productivity, safety, and bottom line may be at risk. Our process engineering design team focuses on the design, operation, control, and optimization of your plant’s process.
We’re proficient in leading full-scope projects working on anything from the initial conceptual phase of major greenfield developments to providing on-going maintenance and continuous process improvements of brownfield projects.
Process Engineering Design at EAD
When you choose EAD to develop, evaluate, troubleshoot, or maintain your process, our first step is to meet with your building managers and personnel to start the information gathering process. We know the key to understanding your plant is through your team’s experts, and we’ll work with them to define and improve upon your existing design processes or to create new processes.
We may be involved in any of the following:
• Research and Development
• Simulating New Processes with Software
• Equipment Monitoring
• Writing and Editing Documentation
• Equipment/Process Risk Assessments
• Continual Process and Equipment Evaluations
• Process Safety
• Existing Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&ID) and Standards
• Equipment and Building Layouts
• Existing Loop Sheets
• Material Flow Processes
• Maintenance Database Lists
• Production Problem Troubleshooting
• Processes and Operations Personnel Oversight
EAD provides a variety of process safety consulting services. We develop and audit safety programs for client facilities housing hazardous or flammable chemicals to ensure they meet OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM) standards.
Process Hazard Analysis (PHA)
A PHA is a methodical approach to identifying hazards. The client deliverable of the PHA is an action item list detailing how plant staff can address those hazards. It gives plant staff a better overall understanding of their process, a greater awareness of their design philosophy, and a knowledge of which design codes apply to the plant.
EAD facilitates Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) meetings for plant sites that are required to comply with OSHA PSM or EPA Risk Management Program (RMP) regulations.
Combustible Dust Safety
EAD’s process engineers know combustible dust safety. We are experts in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) design codes, industrial insurance provider standards, and in the performance capabilities of safety equipment. We design dust collection and handling systems that safely meet production requirements. We also provide combustible dust safety consulting, facilitate Dust Hazard Analysis (DHA) programs, and develop dust management programs that comply with NFPA standards.
EAD can perform a complete process design mapping of your process equipment, construction materials and unit operations. We will work to help you understand the economics behind your operation’s processes and respond with solutions that make you as efficient and profitable as possible.
What We Do:
- Asset utilization and Optimization
- Scope definition
- Plant expansions
- Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&ID)
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFD)
- Process analysis, modeling, design and development
- Process equipment layout
- Process feasibility studies
- Production optimization studies
- Profitability evaluations
- Project budgeting
- Recipe management
- Repeatable improvements
- Waste reduction
- Process Safety Management (PSM)
- Capital growth
- Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs)
- Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs)
- Process Models (a.k.a. Heat & Material Balances or Mass & Energy Balances)
- Process Narratives
- Design Bases
- Equipment Sizing & Specification
- Ready-to-eat cereal
- Frozen food
- Canned food
- Consumer-packaged food
- Bulk food ingredients
- Oilseed processing
- Baked goods
- Package handling
- Heat Exchange
- Pump & Piping Systems
- Utilities (Steam, Compressed Air, Cooling Water, Chilled Water, Refrigeration, etc.)
- Fermentation & Bioreactions
- Carton & Parcel Handling
- Milling & Grinding
- Mechanical Conveying
- Pneumatic Conveying
- Dust Collection
- Tanks & Bins
- Screening & Filtering
EAD’s engineering and design team is capable of providing complete engineering services for your projects. We employ the latest technology to assist our engineers in preparing quality design packages that meet our clients’ needs.
Process engineering design is just one of EAD’s many engineering services. Visit our engineering services page to learn more about our engineering capabilities.